Sunday, October 9, 2011

P365 - Day 281 - two metre tall (8/10/2011)

This weekend is the official opening of Two Metre Tall’s Farm Bar season. 

Yay!

Scenic!

To celebrate, the Farm Bar is open all weekend.

Yay!

Juniordwarf learns self-photography

Lil Sis kindly agreed to drive us, so we all squeezed into her car for the trip. We met up with some friends and had a great afternoon drinking the different ales and ciders. 

Designer of the 'Norfick' shirt, Samedog.

Two Metre Tall has been very busy over the ‘off season’ and there is now an undercover BBQ area for people to cook their ‘beer fed beef’ steaks and sausages that come straight from the farm.

We called the BBQ area the ‘Man Cave’ because, well, there were a lot of men there bonding over the wood fire and discussing tongs. I don’t know, it must be a man thing.

Men doing secret men's business in the Man Cave

Juniordwarf found himself a new friend in Molly the dog, who seemed quite happy for him to chase her around the place (he took this photo).

Molly the dog

It was a beautiful day, perfect for getting some Vitamin D in this part of the world where apparently Vitamin D deficiency is a big issue. Then in true Tassie style, we were treated to a glorious rain storm, which meant we could all cram into the shed and continue our sampling of the ale-y goodness. (Some of us might have drank a few more than others . . . )

Mr Tall, Lil Sis, Juniordwarf, Me & Slabs

Ashley working the bar

Ale-y goodness

Discovery of the day was the ‘new and improved’ Huon Dark Ale, which now has 25 per cent apple juice (from Huon Valley apples), and is a really delicious drink. We also tried the new wild yeast ale, which is a variation on the Forester ale – my favourite. I’ve forgotten what it’s called, but my name for it was ‘Salty Forester’. And Slabs’ new favourite is the Derwent Ale, which now uses spelt instead of wheat.

I love Two Metre Tall’s philosophy of using ingredients that they grow themselves, or source directly from local growers. Having direct links to your food by growing it yourself or, if you can’t do that, then at least knowing where it has come from and what’s in it, is an appealing concept, although for me right now, it’s not something I can do as much as I’d like to right now.

It’s something I’m becoming quite passionate about! But I digress . . .

As you know, kids love rain, and today was no exception. We’d been warned that the ground might be a bit soggy, so we made sure Juniordwarf was kitted out in his gumboots. This proved to be a really good idea, and allowed him to participate in ‘puddling’. His attempt to keep his pants dry was very amusing, but rather futile in the end.

Puddling



Somehow I let him talk me into going for a walk up the hill, which was a Mighty Big Adventure. If I hadn’t turned him back, he might still be walking!


It was a fun afternoon and I’m looking forward to the next time. Thanks Ashley and Jane for a great day out.

1 comment:

  1. Love juniordwrf puddling! I used to let my kids do that on the way home from school and kindy.
    The grouping around the barbecue is definitely a man thing. Go to any barbecue anywhere in the world and you'll see the same thing.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I know you hate having to type in the words as much as I do, but I am being furiously spammed, so I've had to reactivate that feature. If you're a real person I'd love to hear from you :-)